- Since 1986, the champion has always been first of the group stage.
- Brazil is the only team that has participated in every World Cup – 21 appearances.
- With Germany being eliminated on the first round, 4 of the last 5 WC reigning champions have been knocked out on the first round.
- Italy was the only team that has won the World Cup that did not classify this year, the other seven winners are disputing the competition.
- Mexico has been the team that has qualified more to the World Cup and hasn’t won the competition: 16 times.
- Every World Cup has been won by a coach with the same nationality as the team.
- Croatia ended the streak of losing the first match in the previous 3 World Cups after defeating Nigeria 2-0.
Croatia celebrating Modric’s penalty to make it 2-0.
- Iceland is the country with the lowest population to have ever participated on a World Cup: 334,000 inhabitants.
- Only two teams have achieved to win the competition back-to-back: Italy in 1934 and 1938 and Brazil in 1958 and 1962.
- Saudi Arabia has fired two coaches since they classified to the World Cup.
- Spain didn’t tie for 14 games until the World Cup (10 Wins, 4 Losses). Then, they tied 3 out of 4 games, just winning 1-0 against Iran.
- Colombia has played the last 22 matches in the World Cup without ending the match goalless.
- The World Cups with the most amount of goals are France 1998 and Brazil 2014 with 171 goals each, meanwhile the South Africa WC just had 145 goals with an average of 2,27 goals per match, being the tournament with the least amount of goals.
- Sweden in four games has blocked more shots than any other team: 29.
- There are four players that have scored in four World Cups: Miroslav Klose, Pelé, Uwe Seeler and now Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Rafa Marquez has now tied Antonio Carbajal and Lothar Matthäus for Most World Cup participations with 5.
Rafa Marquez playing against Brazil for his 5th World Cup.
- Tim Cahill has scored 38% of Australia’s goals in the history of World Cups.
- Kylian Mbappé has been the first teenager to score a brace in a World Cup match since Pelé did it in 1958.
- Denmark’s record of more minutes without receiving a goal in the World Cup was owned by Peter Schmeichel until his son, Kasper, broke the 533 minute-record of his father this WC.
- Neymar, after playing the match against Mexico, had already been fouled 23 times in just 4 matches and spent 14 minutes on the floor.
- Tite, Brazil’s coach, just lost one game out of 18 in the CONMEBOL qualifiers. In the World Cup he has won 3 games and tie one.
- Hernan Dario Gomez has already coached three national teams, Colombia in 1998, Ecuador in 2002 and the debutant Panama in this World Cup.
- Joachim Low directed Germany to semifinals in all the six major tournaments he coached until this World Cup.
- Oscar Washington Tabarez is the oldest coach, with 71 years old.
- Southgate is coaching his first major tournament, leading England to quarterfinals.